Hi everybody; this is my first blog post on the new Webbuilders Group site, and what better way to start then talking about the underlying technology known as a Content Management System (CMS) that powers our website and why using a CMS on your website can have benefits and save you money.
So what is a Content Management System?
A CMS is a framework or system designed to simplify the adding, removal, and editing of web content. That’s a pretty general definition, but this blog post is more geared towards the less tech savvy. There are many different CMS’s available, some popular ones being WordPress, Joomla!, Drupal, and our personal favorite SilverStripe.
How can a CMS benefit you?
Having your website built in a CMS gives you the ability to carry out edits and updates yourself. It puts the power of your website directly in your hands! Creating a web presence is important to all businesses, but making sure it doesn’t become stale is equally, if not more important. By having your website built in a CMS you can update your website’s content at almost no cost other than your time. Regular updates create a ‘fresh’ image for your customers, but also plays an important role in improving your search engine value. Keeping your content current also shows you care about what you are doing and are active and passionate about your industry, and your business.
Why do we use SilverStripe (our CMS of choice)?
1. It’s a powerful and robust framework for our developers.
2. Once the site is launched it’s easy for non-technical content editors to use.
3. It’s open source, which means it has a large community of supporters.
What are some other benefits of using SilverStripe?
1. Control of MetaTags to help improve your search rankings on Google and other search engines.(Better search ranking = more visitors!)
2. Access your CMS from any computer that has an internet connection. Make changes to your website from work, home, or on the road.
3. Search engine friendly URLs (helps people find you!).
4. Simple and easy to use the image and file upload functions – Easily manage your images and files giving you more time to focus on the rest of your business.
Contact us today to learn what you could be doing to better promote your business on the web. We are Webbuilders, and we help companies achieve better results from the internet.
Best wishes for the Holidays. Ryan.